The Europa League threw up some interesting results last night lets have a look at some of them:
Midtjylland 2 Manchester United 1
The biggest upset of last nights fixtures has to be Danish minnows Midtjylland coming from behind to beat Manchester United 2-1.United fans don’t just have this result to worry about as goalkeeper David De Gae suffered a knee injury in his pre-match warm up which forced manager Louis Van Gall to start Sergio Romero. A Memphis Depay goal was not enough on the night as goals from Sisto and Onuachu sealed a famous victory for the home side.
Fiorentina 1- Tottenham 1
Tottenham played out one of the most entertaining matches of this Europa League round as they faced off against an inform Fiorentina side. A Nacer Chadli penalty had given Spurs the lead but a second half 30m wonder goal from Federico Bernadeschi leveled the sides. Check it out here.
Ausberg 0 Liverpool 0
Jurgen Klopp’s return to Germany didn’t go to plan as his side failed to score against Augsberg last night. Liverpool were the dominiant side last night but the goalkeeping heroics of Marwin Hitz insured the Germans go to Anfield next week with it all to play for.
Marseille 0 Athletic Bilbao 1
Another cracking game saw the Basque’s take a one goal advantage into the second leg thanks to a fantastic goal from veteran striker Aritz Aduriz. Watch his strike here.
Borussia Dortmund 2 FC Porto 0
Borussia Dortmund received arguably the toughest draw of the round as they faced Portuguese giants FC Porto. The German side continued their good run of form in the competition as goals from Lukasz Piszczek and Marco Reus gave Dortmund a comfortable lead heading into next week’s second leg.
- Belgian side Anderlecht beat Greek opposition Olympiacos 1-0 last night.
- Reigning champions Sevilla beat Norwegian side Molde 3-0.
- Villarreal beat inform Napoli 1-0 thanks to a sublime freekick from a young Denis Suarez.
- Saint Etienne fended off a strong Basel comeback to win 3-2 at home.
- Bayern Leverkusen just edged Sporting last night in Portugal winning 1-0.
- It was 6 of the best for Gary Neville’s Valencia who became the first side to score 5 first half goals in the competition. A second half goal from Rodrigo all but ended Rapid Wien’s hopes of a comeback.
- Czech side Sparta Praha beat Russian side Krasnodar 1-0 last night.
- Braga battled to a 2-1 away victory against their Swiss opposition Sion.
- Turkish giants Galatasary were matched by Lazio last night as they finished 1-1.
- Shakhtar Donetsk could not utilize their home advantage against Schalke as the Germans held on for a 0-0 draw.
Plenty of goals in the Europa league with a potential Puskas nominee from Adruiz. Next week’s second legs are sure to produce more great football.