13 man Dublin dismantle Donegal to book semi-final date

All Ireland Senior Football Quarter-Final

Dublin 1-15 Donegal 1-10

Dublin survived two second-half red cards as they defeated Donegal by 1-15 to 1-10 to set up an All-Ireland SFC semi-final showdown with Kerry.

Jim Gavin’s side had a comfortable five-point advantage at half-time but a red card for Diarmuid Connolly in the 47th minute helped Donegal gain a foothold in the second half before an injury-time goal from substitute Paul Mannion ultimately settled the contest.

Substitute Eoghan O’Gara also received a red card in the dying minutes for striking Donegal full-back Neil McGee.

Dublin almost got off to a dream start when Brian Fenton picked out Connolly in space in front of the Donegal goal but the St Vincents man saw his low shot well saved by Mark Anthony McGinley.

They quickly went two points in front thanks to scores from Dean Rock and Philly McMahon before Michael Murphy replied with two frees to bring Donegal level. The scores were coming far easier for Dublin though who soon added three more scores from Rock, Kevin McManamon and Ciaran Kilkenny.

Michael Murphy added another free for Donegal but that did little to stem the Dublin tide as the reigning All-Ireland champions fired over three more scores from Connolly, Paddy Andrews and another Rock free.

A point from Anthony Thompson for Donegal was quickly cancelled out by Connolly who curled over an exceptional score with his weaker left foot to leave five points between the teams at the break.

Donegal needed a fast start to the second half but it was Dublin who scored the first two points as Kevin McManamon fisted over after a brilliant run and Rock added another free.

Paddy McBrearty managed a point for Donegal before a big breakthrough came for the Ulstermen.

Cian O’Sullivan gave away possession in midfield and a sweeping Donegal counter attack was fisted into the net by the excellent Ryan McHugh.

That gave Donegal belief and they soon got another break when Connolly received a second yellow card for a high challenge on Thompson. His first caution came early in the game after he was involved in a scuffle with Ryan McHugh.

Diarmuid Conolly heads for an early shower.
Diarmuid Connolly heads for an early shower.

Murphy added a free to cut the lead to three points but Dublin responded with points from McManamon and Jonny Cooper.

Two further frees from Murphy made it a one-score game once again but Mannion, who laid down a marker to manager Jim Gavin with his impressive showing from the bench, kicked a huge point for Dublin.

Dublin were down to 13 men as O’Gara was dismissed entering added time but Mannion produced a moment of brilliance to settle the game once and for all as showed blistering pace to knife through the Donegal defence before slotting past McGinley.

Scorers for Dublin: D Rock 0-5 (5fs), P Mannion 1-1, D Connolly 0-2, P McMahon 0-2, K McManamon 0-2, C Kilkenny 0-1, P Andrews 0-1, J Cooper 0-1.

Scorers for Donegal: M Murphy 0-6 (5fs, 145), R McHugh 1-0, P McBrearty 0-3 (2fs), A Thompson 0-1.

Dublin: S Cluxton; P McMahon, C O’Sullivan, David Byrne; C Kilkenny, J Cooper, J Small; B Fenton, MD Macauley; K McManamon, D Connolly, P Flynn; D Rock, P Andrews, B Brogan.

Subs: D Daly for Brogan (48), D Bastick for Macauley (53), P Mannion for Andrews (57), E O’Gara for McManamon (68), E Lowndes for Rock (73), M Fitzsimons for Fenton (78, BC).

Donegal: MA McGinley; N McGee, E McGee, A Thompson; K Lacey, M O’Reilly, P McGrath; R Kavanagh, O MacNiallais; R McHugh, M McElhinney, F McGlynn; P McBrearty, M Murphy, E McHugh.

Subs: C Gillespie for MacNiallais (h/t), L McLoone for Kavanagh (42), C Toye for Thompson (48), M McHugh for E McGee (55), C Thompson for McElhinney (61), C McFadden for Lacey (71).

Referee: C Branagan (Down).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *