Everton sack manager Roberto Martinez
Everton have sacked manager Roberto Martinez after three years in charge of the Premier League side.
Martinez’s side, who currently lie 12th in the Premier League, were beaten 3-1 by champions Leicester on Saturday and lost 3-0 at Sunderland last night.The Toffees also lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup this season.
The club praised the 42 year-old Spaniard for his “utmost integrity and dignity”, describing him as a “great ambassador” who played a “key role” in developing young players.
A statement on Thursday confirming the decision said Everton “would like to place on record their thanks for the dedication and commitment Roberto has shown during his three seasons”.
They have won just five league games at home all season and are guaranteed to finish with their lowest points tally at Goodison Park since the introduction of three points for a win in 1981.
Everton’s annual awards event scheduled for Thursday evening – where protests against Martinez had been expected before his dismissal was announced – has been postponed.The club said it wanted to “reciprocate” Martinez’s “commitment and dignity” by rescheduling the event, adding a “planned celebration would be inappropriate in the circumstances”.
Former Everton player and current under-21 coach David Unsworth and ex-boss Joe Royle, who also played for the Toffees for eight years, will take temporary charge for the final game of the season against Norwich City on Sunday.
Frank De Boer is favourite for the job after he left Dutch side Ajax today. He led them to four successive league titles and narrowly missed out on a fifth on the final day this year.